Saturday, February 24, 2007

Nightwish - Moondance (Sailor Moon)


OLink: video information (animemusicvideos.org)
Author: Sierra Lorna

Sailor Moon was actually my first series while being aware of its anime genre. Before that everything was simple and a cartoon was just a cartoon. Luckily it also was the last one seen on a regular TV - whatever that means... ;] Therefore I am quite attached to Sailors, however I probably would not be able to withstand watching the series today. Unless I had no choice of course. But I do like to watch a good Sailor AMV, which this video certainly is.

From the calm beginning the story builds up along with the music. Notice the amazing scene just after the prologue, when all the instruments enter at full throttle, and so animation speeds up - and how it does that! This scene fits here like it was made for it. At this moment we see a burst of the very essence of the Sailor Moon series - the girls, the diadems, and the transformations. This video won me there. And as the calm prelude to the rest of the clip slowly animates just to explode again - it wins me even more. Just till the very end.

Moreover, the amazing factor of this video is the perfect match of music and plot. If you look closely you should see that whenever something happens it has an exact reflection in the style and speed of the soundtrack. This effect is even more visible in the second half of this animation. Obviously the author made it up the other way around, attaching various scenes to a continuity of sound, but that's not the point. The result is pretty stunning, and if you asked me what a perfect AMV should have I'd say that this feature is essential.

Of course, maybe the synchronization could've been better at some moments, maybe some scenes could've been edited differently, but again that's not the point. Feel this video, feel its story and its variable pace. Feel its music and its power. Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me* - that's what Sailor Moon is all about. And to combine it into a single AMV is an amazing achievement. Will I ever see a better Sailors' music video, I wonder...

*) song by U2

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home