Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Frou Frou - Must Be Dreaming (RahXephon)


OLink: video information (animemusicvideos.org)
Author: Koopiskeva

This one is special in its very Top way - it's a No 1 of the Top 10% Rated Videos at AnimeMusicVideos.org, with 1461 opinions and an average score of almost 9.75 out of 10. It's a No 1 of the Top 30 Favourite Videos and one of the few clips that exceeded 21,000 starts in the Top All-Time Star Scale. It was uploaded to YouTube tenths of times and who knows how many times deleted, accumulative view count is about 100,000 and that's just 3 times less than an hour-long colossus AMV Hell 3. Simple calculation gives an amazing 1,600,000 views if just the author made these 4 minutes last an hour. OK, I'm not serious here. But the point is - this is probably one of the most popular AMVs ever. And I mean ever.

However, there is a problem. As promised I will rant about special effects, thus lets focus on these. Surely, this clip is packed with quite amazing editing not only in terms of quality and synchronization but the idea itself. But that's where the glitch lies also. Not only I am a bit overdoes with effects, but some of them fit not that well. Not at all in fact. The first time I watched this video I was amazed with the choice of scenes, angles, zooms and of course - the song - the background music is as perfect as it can get. But I just could not stand these lines, blocks and stuff that was flying all around. It's just distracting. It just does not fit.

I respect the author in the same way I respect the creators of the Bugatti Veyron - they made something amazing to prove it can be done, but honestly there are so much better looking cars out there. Same is with this clip - the effects are great and innovative, but I can point out other just much better looking and fitting. In fact, I think if the author had cut half of the effects and focused on smoothing the general AMV experience it would have been even better. An all-time absolute AMV maybe. Unfortunately (?) it remains just one of the best AMVs ever. Not bad if you ask me. ;]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home